The art of conversation for kids has never been more important. With kids spending more and more time on screens, communicating remotely, via phones, text, screens or online; it’s never been more crucial to help them to develop good in person communication skills.
It may sound obvious but encouraging children to chat, have discussions and talk things out is a skill that needs to be developed and practised.
Kids that can communicate effectively in person will have a massive advantage over those who can only communicate online as they grow up; in relationships, work and for their mental well being.
But everyone knows you can’t ask a kid “what did you do today?” they will almost always answer “dunno”!
So here are a load of fun and silly questions to ask kids to get them talking; some conversation starters, thought provokers and ideas for how to start conversations with the kids and get them talking.
Let us know some of the funny responses you get….after all the more you laugh together the more you connect…..
45 Funny & Silly Questions To Ask Kids….
- What is something I always say to you?
- How old am I (adult)?
- What do I do for a job?
- What do you enjoy doing with me?
- If our pet could talk, what would it say?
- How does Mummy/Daddy laugh?
- What’s your favorite food?
- What your favorite Restaurant?
- What is your favorite Nursery Rhyme?
- What is your favorite Color?
- What did you eat for lunch yesterday?
- Where do you want to go?
- Which is the best animal?
- What does a (duck, cow, chicken say?
- What does Mummy do?
- What does Daddy do?
- What makes me (adult) sad?
- What makes me (adult) happy?
- What did you do today?
- How old are you?
- How old is Mom?
- How old is Dad?
- How old is Sister/Brother?
- What do you want to get your brother/sister? (See them pick out something they would like to get for their sibling, so they could get it from them later)
- Tell me something that is gross?
- What’s your dad’s first name?
- What’s Mom’s first name?
- How strong is your Dad?
- What is Dad’s favorite food?
- What is Mom’s favorite food?
- What time does your Mom wake up in the morning?
- How tall is your Mom?
- How much time does it take me to make dinner?
- What’s the funniest word you know?
- What’s your favorite nursery rhyme?
- Who’s your friend?
- If you built a house when you grew up what would it look like?
- How many kids are you going to have when you get older?
- Where does (their fav animal) live?
- How is the weather like today?
- Do you like Grocery Shopping? (Why/Why Not)
- How are you doing today?
- What do you like to do the most?
- How old is Grandma/Grandpa?
- What car are you going to drive when you grow older?
Questions to ask about them…..
- What is your favourite dinosaur? / superhero? / toy? / animal? / holiday? / person?…..
- If you could ask an animal a question, what would it be?
- If you were an animal, what would you be?
- If stuffed animals could talk, what would they say?
- Are you a cat-person or a dog-person?
- What animal would you like to ride?
- If you could be a character from a book / film / TV series who would you be?
- If you could make a new holiday, what would it be?
- Where’s the best place to hide during a game of hide-and-seek?
- If you opened a shop, what would you sell?
- What’s your favourite way to laugh?
- What’s the funniest joke you’ve ever heard?
- What’s the funniest sound you can make?
- Can you impersonate someone?
“Would You Rather” Questions
- Would you rather fight 1 horse-sized duck or 100 duck-sized horses?
- Would you rather shrink to the size of an ant or grow to the size of a giant?
- Would you rather always wear wet clothes or never shower again in your life?
- Would you rather only eat jelly forever or only bathe in jelly forever?
- Would you rather spend a night in a cemetery or a haunted house?
- Would you rather have tentacles for arms or for legs?
- Would you rather see everything in slow motion or in fast forward?
- Would you rather go back in time or travel to the future?
- Would you rather travel on a spaceship or a gigantic dragon?
- Would you rather be stuck in the middle of the desert or the ocean?
Questions About Weird Stuff
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- How’s it going for the monster under your bed?
- What’s that on the back of your neck?
- How many aliens were in your class today?
- How many spaceships flew past your school today?
- What’s the weirdest thing you heard today?
- Was your teacher dressed as Batman or Superman in school today?
- Using only what you have around you right now, how many zombies would you be able to kill before they take you down?
- Can you make noises like a laser?
- Can you describe the colors red, blue, and green without using the words red, blue, and green?
- What would happen if a vampire bites a zombie?
- Why were all the kids jumping on the tables?
- How many stars in the galaxy do you think exploded today?
- How often do you sleep on the couch and then find yourself magically waking up on your bed?
- What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?
- What’s the ugliest name you’ve ever heard?
- If you could rename the colours of your crayons, what would you name them?
- What does your name mean?
- If you were to give me a nickname, what would it be?
- If you had to become a teacher for a day, what would you teach in class?
- Which cartoon character do you wish you had for a teacher?
- What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done at school?
- What do you think should be taught in school?
- What lessons would you like to learn in school?
- If you could design a school what would it have in it?
- What superpowers do you want to have?
- If you suddenly had the power to become invisible just for a day, what would you do?
- If you had a secret base, where would it be and what would be inside it?
- What’s your superhero name?
Hope you have fun with these questions. You might also like….